homePROFILEContact MeCREDITSYoutubeInstagramfollow
Camera Ep 1: Lighting & Bokeh Tutorial
Sooooooo its finally here. My first Camera Talk video. I hope this video helped even just  a little bit. I tried keeping a limit on how long this video should be (6 mins or under) or else it gets kinda boring and too drawn out. With every Camera Talk video I upload, there will be a blog post that goes with it, that goes more in depth with the video. So lets start!


Lighting Set Up: 
With synthetic lights, you need lights on both sides of the face or else shadows will be created. The lighting needs to be even, so getting the same lights will help a lot, even getting a set of lights will be a great idea. Don't make the lights too strong, or else it will completely wash out your face & makeup. Certain lights will also make your face hot. So before purchasing lights, make sure you do research and read reviews! ALWAYS do research before making a big purchase. I literally take weeks or even a few months to decide on an item I want because of the amount of time I spend researching the item.

The lighting set up that I have are umbrellas. Umbrellas can be purchased online at eBay, amazon, ?Newegg, or even bhphotovideo. There are a ton of places to find them at. There are also options like Soft Boxes, or even Ring Lights. Each of these lighting pieces vary in price. Ring lights are usually the most expensive though.

With natural lights, you can only film during the day time (when its not gloomy out). So the time frame for filming is restricted. I noticed a lot of people who start out making videos film with natural day light, and sit in front of the window. This is a great way of starting out, but please pleaseeeeeeeeee do not have your face in direct sunlight. .___. Too many make this mistake, and this washed out your features completely.


So onto the Bokeh section. This is what everyone has been requesting me to show. 
All you really need is a point of focus, the right lens,and christmas lights (or light source).

Tips to do bokeh well:
Keep enough distance from subject and background
Use a 50 mm lens. (works best)
Add a twist by using a template
Blinking lights are a cute touch, make sure they don't blink too often though (it could be distracting)
Use a tripod, if you're filming. It helps wonders. : )





These two photos are more like light painting, but I wanted to involve it anyways. hehhe.



All these photos are several years old. My boyfriend and I were playing around with christmas lights a while back, and I found some photos I wanted to share. : )



I really hope this helped you guys in some way. Goodluck!

POSTED BY Rena Le ON Monday, February 25, 2013 @ 11:02 AM
back | all rights reserved desiree 2012 | forth